Princess Nourah Bint Abdulrahman University has launched the Research Funding Initiative to support researches that contribute to the international and local efforts to fight Corona Virus . Represented by the Deanship of Scientific Research, the initiative will support around 40 researches that will be nominated for the research institution.
The Dean of Scientific Research, Dr. Kholoud Al-Muqrin, said that the topics of the initiative were distributed to several tracks:
- Modelling the possible expectations
- Public health policies and decision making
- The virus interaction with the host: (the virus isolation, its severity, extent of spread, the response and susceptibility to infection)
- Diagnostic check-ups and accuracy (molecular investigations and serology)
- Clinical trials of therapeutic interventions
- Prototypes manufacture in biomedical engineering and suitability (respirators & personal protective devices)
- The development methods for disposing of unsafe waste
- The assessment of the economic, social and physiological impact of the disease on the society
She added that the initiative’s objective is to invest in the research capabilities of the university employees to find scientific solutions that could contribute to treating the Corona Virus (Covid-19). It is expected that the result of these projects will be scientific researches, which may be published in scientific journals. In addition, most of the researches that contain innovation and patents will be converted into eventually into industrial products with an economic value.
This initiative will lead to the allocation of the budget to fund a number of innovative research projects that highlight the efforts of Saudi Arabia in facing this epidemic.