1st International Workshop on Functional Reverse Engineering (WRE 2018) was organized at GIK on 12-13 January, 2019. The workshop was technically co-sponsored by IEEE (USA) and IMechE (UK). Proceedings of the workshop are to be published by CRC Press (Taylor & Francis Group, USA) as “Computers in Engineering Design and Manufacturing” book series.
Professor Dr. Fazal Ahmad Khalid, Sitara-i-Imtiaz, was the Chief Guest at the opening ceremony on 12th January 2019, and Mr. Kamran Khan Bangash, Special Advisor to the Chief Minister on Science and Technology, Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, was the Chief Guest at the Closing Ceremony on 13th January, 2019.
A large number of national and international scientists, invited speakers and practitioners attended the workshop. There were two keynote talks and eight parallel technical sessions including eight invited talks and fourteen chapter presentations. Among the prominent speakers at WRE 2018 were:
- Prof. Dr. Abbas K. Zaidi, George Mason University, USA,
- Prof. Dr. Javed I. Khan, Kent University, USA,
- Dr. Adeel Khalid, Kennesaw State University, USA,
- Dr. Edward Huang, George Mason University, USA,
- Prof. Dr. Duc Pham OBE, University of Birmingham, UK,
- Dr. Saadi Boudjit, University of Paris 13, France,
- Dr. Volkan Esat, Middle East Technical University, Turkey,
- Dr. Muhammad Iqbal, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Brunei,
- Dr. Jianqiang Huo, Dr. Chen Zhang, Dr. Xiaoping Wang, and Dr. Linchao Sun, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China.
- Prof. Dr. B. S. Chowdary, Mehran UET, Pakistan,
- Dr. Zahid Halim and Dr. Cedric Aimal Edwin, GIK Institute, Pakistan, and
- Prof. Dr. Muhammad Abid, COMSATS University, Pakistan.
Addressing the congregations, Professor Dr. Jameel-Un Nabi, Pro-Rector (Academic), GIK Institute, said that Pakistan relies on the import of CNC machinery, which results in prohibitive cost. Therefore, reverse engineering and enterprises of reverse engineering gain more importance. He added that the objectives of the workshop are to develop indigenous expertise in functional reverse engineering and to foster an implementable model for the enterprise of reverse engineering at GIK for promoting enterprises of reverse engineering in KP.
The Special Advisor to CM on Science and Technology, Mr. Kamran Khan Bangash, proposed that such gatherings for youths of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa especially, and the county in general, should be held frequently.
Both the Chief Guests and Professor Dr. Jameel-Un Nabi congratulated the untiring efforts of the Workshop General Chair, Professor Dr. Wasim A. Khan and his team, including Dr. Ghulam Abbas, Dr. Khalid Rehman, and Dr. Ghulam Hussain, on successful conduction of the International Workshop. The workshop photographs are available here.