A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signing between the Faculty of Film, Theatre and Animation (FiTA), Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM), Selangor with the International Dance Organization (IDO) was successfully held at Dewan Agung Tuanku Canselor (DATC) UiTM Shah Alam on 25th of October 2019.
The MoU between the FiTA and the IDO was signed by IDO President, Michael Wendt and the Dean of FiTA, Dato ‘Professor Dr. A. Razak Mohaideen. The ceremony was also attended by UiTM Legal Advisor, Associate Professor Dr. Haidar Dziyauddin.
IDO is an international organization established in 1981 in Italy. The organization promotes dance arts and represents 500,000 dancers worldwide. IDO actively organizes international festivals to provide exposure, workshops, and technical learning for dance artists worldwide.
Based on the content of the MoU between the FiTA and the IDO, both organizations have agreed
- To provide professional development opportunities for academic staff and students between the two parties;
- To provide students and academic staff with both sides for development and career opportunities in film, creative writing, theatre, art and animation management;
- To encourage the involvement of both universities in research, professional consultation and academic program development;
- To organize any academic activity or project or conference based on mutual consent of both parties; and
- To collaborate on any collaborative activity over time based on mutual agreement.
The Dean of FiTA said the involvement of foreign organizations such as IDO will help reinforce FiTA’s new diploma program – the Diploma in Dance and Drama Technology. He also hoped that the MoU would not only help to enhance the faculty and UiTM’s reputation, but would also expand the marketability of FiTA graduates internationally.
The Faculty of Film, Theatre and Animation or its acronym FiTA was established in 1998. The idea of the establishment of FiTA was planned in 1997, which was in line with the current trend of creative industry development in Malaysia. FiTA now has 2591 students and offers 16 academic programmes under a work-based learning platform. This work-based learning is known as 2u1i (two years in university, one year in industry), a programme which aims to boost students’ learning experience based on industry knowledge combined with classroom learning.
FiTA Website : https://fita.uitm.edu.my/v4/index.php/en/
FiTA Corporate Profile : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d6MryWXB94
FiTA – Live Arts, Visualizing Dream!
Written by : Dr. Mohd Syuhaidi Abu Bakar (Deputy Dean of Research and Industry Network, FiTA)